Electrical Equipment


These regulations apply to anyone who supplies electrical equipment in the course of a business. It will therefore apply to landlords letting residential accommodation. To comply with the regulations you must ensure that all electrical equipment e.g. kettles, toasters, televisions that you leave in the property for the tenant are safe to use.


The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 requires the landlord to ensure the electrical installation is safe when a tenancy begins. It is therefore highly recommended that a landlord carries out a test on the electrical installation to make sure it is safe. Recommendations from a suitably qualified engineer will require the installation to be tested every three, five or ten years depending on the age of the installation.


Part P, Building Regulations


In January 2005 Part P of the Building Regulations was implemented. These regulations make it a legal requirement that any electrical installation work carried out in a dwelling from that date whether professionally, or DIY and regardless of whether the works are minor; or major the parts that are fixed to the building such as sockets, switches, consumer units and ceiling fittings are fixed in accordance with BS7671. This is the British Standard for electrical installation.


Any such work carried out will be certified to show that it complies with BS7671. This can either be done through the local authority or by an NICEIC registered installer who can be an individual or a large company.


Smoke Detectors


All new homes built after June 1992 must be fitted with mains operated smoke detectors. We do, however, recommend that where possible smoke detectors are fitted throughout all other properties that are exempt.

Request aValuation

Find out how much your home is worth with a free valuation.